Towards the end of 2013, the Professional Board for Medical Technology passed a resolution allowing qualified laboratory personnel the use of professional titles. The use of the title signifies that the practitioner is registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) to practice in the discipline indicated.
Use of Professional Designations
The professional title consists of the parts “registration category”+ (HPCSA) + “discipline registered”. Where one or more additional disciplines have been registered, the practitioner may use all of them in the title e.g. MT (HPCSA) CP, SM, SCH
|Medical Technologists MT|
|MT (HPCSA) CP||CP||Clinical Pathology|
|MT (HPCSA) SM||SM||Microbiology Specials|
|MT (HPCSA) SH||SH||Haematology Specials|
|MT (HPCSA) SCH||SCH||Chemical Pathology Specials|
|MT (HPCSA) SI||SI||Immunology|
|MT (HPCSA) SCG||SCG||Cytogenetics|
|MT (HPCSA) SHG||SHG||Human Genetics|
|MT (HPCSA) SHP||SHP||Histopathology|
|MT (HPCSA) SCY||SCY||Cytology|
|MT (HPCSA) SV||SV||Virology|
|MT (HPCSA) SBT||SBT||Blood Transfusion|
|Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS)|
|MLS (HPCSA) CP||CP||Clinical Pathology|
|MLS (HPCSA) SM||SM||Microbiology Specials|
|MLS (HPCSA) SH||SH||Haematology Specials|
|MLS (HPCSA) SCH||SCH||Chemical Pathology Specials|
|MLS (HPCSA) SI||SI||Immunology|
|MLS (HPCSA) SCG||SCG||Cytogenetics|
|MLS (HPCSA) SHG||SHG||Human Genetics|
|MLS (HPCSA) SHP||SHP||Histopathology|
|MLS (HPCSA) SCY||SCY||Cytology|
|MLS (HPCSA) SV||SV||Virology|
|MLS (HPCSA) SBT||SBT||Blood Transfusion|
|Medical Technicians GT|
|GT (HPCSA) CP||CP||Clinical Pathology|
|GT (HPCSA) SM||SM||Microbiology Specials|
|GT (HPCSA) SH||SH||Haematology Specials|
|GT (HPCSA) SCH||SCH||Chemical Pathology Specials|
|GT (HPCSA) SI||SI||Immunology|
|GT (HPCSA) SHP||SHP||Histopathology|
|CT (HPCSA) SCY Note: Registration is CT for Cytotechnician||SCY||Cytology|
|GT (HPCSA) SV||SV||Virology|
|GT (HPCSA) STB||STB||TB|
|GT (HPCSA) SPH *registration number is erroneously titled MTPHA – possible change to GTPH||SPH||Phlebotomy|
|GT (HPCSA) SBT||SBT||Immunohaematology|
|Laboratory Assistants LA|
|LA (HPCSA) CP||CP||Clinical Pathology/Media|
|LA (HPCSA) HPCY||AP/HPCY||HistoCyto|
|LA (HPCSA) BT||BT||Blood Transfusion|
Professional titles will automatically be conferred upon a practitioner once registration has been awarded by the Registrar at HPCSA. The certificate of registration will contain the title/s which may be used by the individual.
Once a certificate of registration has been received by the individual, s/he may begin using the title according to the recommendations prescribed in this document.
A professional may utilize his or her professional title for the following purposes:
- When authoring or co-authoring papers for publication
- When preparing any professional reports or other documents in his or her capacity as a medical laboratory professional
- To identify the specific registration category as part of a job description at his or her place of professional employment
- When representing the profession of Medical Technology at any national or international forum
A professional may not use his/her professional title in the following instances:
- When he or she has contravened any of the requirements or statutes as laid out in the above-mentioned regulatory and statutory acts or rules.
- When there is evidence of explicit correspondence to indicate that the registration of the individual practitioner has been revoked by the HPCSA.
- When the individual is no longer a practising professional and does not pay an annual registration fee to the HPCSA.
- When an individual wishes to register a company (or partnership) name or use a business name which contains any reference to a protected title, unless the applicant has first obtained a ‘letter of no-objection’ from the HPCSA.